Google Earth

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

DAY ONE WITH MARUGE


Today I landed in Maruge's village he was very nice. He was so happy I was there because he couldn't wait for all the fun stuff he had planned for us. But it was minimized because of his school. It was about one in the afternoon there so he had to get back to school so he didn't miss it. When I arrived he told me he had school from ten to four so he was gone most of the day.




It was about 3:30 I was super excited for Maruge to get out of school, I was supposed to pick him up so I went really early like 20 minutes early. The bell rung and he walked out I was watching him walk and thinking about his story and what the british did to him and it made me appreciate how positive and giving he is. It also makes me feel so spoiled, he got whipped and other terrible things and I get to go to a private school with computers, phones, and other amazing qualities. He final got to the car and the first thing he said was "Lets eat I'm starving" I started laughing so I started the car and we drove away. That day we had dinner really early, I was tiered from flying and he was tiered from school. So we ate and then fell asleep in his warm and little hut.


1 comment:

John SB said...

Day 1: a good start...a good meal...rest for the weary...good photos
Day 2: cramming homework...practicing...high five...beautiful photo of Maruge...helping kids with chores...monkeys after school-another good photo
Day 3: no school...a special lake...a respectful drink...a nap...no beer...a visit with Maruge's buds...zzzzzz
Day 4:the market...Akiki...the camps...good fruit...why buy?...his walking stick?! Whoa, what a most special gift!...Sipi Falls (good link)...jumping in with your boxers...zzzzzzzz
Day 5:school...telling the kids about your life...school til 5...tears at the show...Maruge's character..."like, what about the cards?" Great entry
Day 6: Cool soccer photo...getting your butt kicked...Fishies...Maruge's childhood...Surf? great idea, but was their surf near Eldoret?...chicken with stuffing...zzzzzz
Day 7:special breakfast...Rock Water Park...mountaintop photos...some last card games...zzzzz
Day 8:Did you take your stick?

Ryan, it was so fun to follow you and Maruge as you hung out together. I love your mixture of play and learning, and I especially like your souvenir. It says so much about your visit and what you learned. You are a great storyteller and a strong writer. Your words would be so easy to give a final spelling and punctuation polish to. Find someone to do one final go over. Your words deserve it.
Day 6: